DECOSPAN VT MENEN
- After losing its first Champions League game ever in Trentino, Decospan Menen gets back to the court to face the reigning European champion. The two teams never met each other in the past.
- The home court in Roeselare not really is the home court of Decospan Menen. The Tomabel hall is located at approximately 30 kilometres of the Vauban gym, where Menen plays in national competition. Moving to Roeselare for important games is not new to Menen, since last year’s championship finals were all played in Roeselare (against Knack Roeselare).
- Last Saturday, Decospan Menen took its first competition win of the season against Tectum Achel (0-3). Menen is now in position 8 out of 9 teams.
- Familiar names in Kedzierzyn are Adrian STASZEWSKI (5 seasons) and Twan WILTENBURG (2 seasons), who both used to play for Lindemans Aalst. Setter Seppe VAN HOYWEGHEN played with both of them. Head coach Frank DEPESTELE and Adrian STASZEWSKI were teammates from 2015 until 2018.
- After this first home game, Decospan Menen will play two more away games in 2022 (November 30 against Karlovarsko, December 14 against Kedzierzyn). So Decospan Menen has to travel for three of the first four games in its Champions League debut.
- All Time
Photos featured on the CEV Photo Galleries are downloadable copyright free for media purposes only and only if CEV is credited as the source material. They are protected by copyright for all other commercial purposes. Those wishing to use CEV Photo Gallery photos for other commercial purposes should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE with a second win
Kedzierzyn started as the better team in the first set, whereas Decospan Menen started getting their rhythm only in the second half of the first set. However, the strong Polish team had no major problems to emerge victorious.
Supported by the home crowd, Decospan started better in the next set, and eventually took the lead after 7-7 to 9-7 and 12-9. A time-out by coach and Adrian Staszewski coming on the pitch turned the tables (15-17 after an ace). Decospan saved two set points, but finally lost the second set at 22-25.
It was a close call in the third set as well. After 13-13, the experience of the European champions made the difference, so Kedzierzyn took their second win in this season’s Champions League (21-25).
Captain Aleksander Sliwka was crowned MVP with 24 points (21 attacks, 1 blocks, 2 aces).
Even though that Decospan Menen played in the competition hall of Knack Roeselare, the crowd managed to create a great atmosphere.
"We did what was necessary. We knew Menen would maybe play the best game of their season. So we put maximum effort on every point. In the second set, Menen started to defend many balls, but we remained patient and kept controlling their outside hitters. A 3-0 win away is always great, and we are very happy with this result."
Head Coach of Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE
"It was great to play this 'gala match' in a nice atmosphere with a fantastic audience. Maybe we should have won the second set and afterwards you never know. But overall, we are satisfied with the team performance. We played against the two big favourites now, and we are looking forward to the third game in Karlovarsko. Hopefully, we can take our first win there and stay in the running for the third place and CEV Cup."
captain Decospan Menen
The match in numbers
The combined total number of points scored by both teams throughout the entire match.
The total length of the match, from the first serve through until the last point has ended.
Total number of people in attendance at the venue – taken at the end of the second set.
The combined total number of successful spikes achieved by both teams throughout the entire match.
An average of the two team service reception percentages from the complete match.
The number of successful point winning blocks of Decospan VT MENEN compared to Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE.
Decospan VT MENEN number of service aces compared to Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE
Errors leading to points of Decospan VT MENEN, next to those from Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE