· For the second time in the Champions League, two teams from Poland meet in the semi-finals. In 2014/15, Asseco Resovia RZESZOW defeated PGE Skra BELCHATOW in straight sets in Berlin to reach the final.
· The only previous Champions League meetings between JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel and Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE came in the 2017/18 Playoffs 12. Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE, known as Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE at the time, won both matches: 3-1 away and 3-0 at home.
· JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel's only other Champions League matches versus Polish opposition came in the 2013/14 Playoffs 6, when they defeated Asseco Resovia RZESZOW home and away.
· Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE won all four of their Champions League encounters with fellow Polish teams. Apart from their wins against JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel, they also recorded two group stage victories versus PGE Skra BELCHATOW in 2020/21.
· A team from Poland will reach the Champions League final for a fourth time, after PGE Skra BELCHATOW in 2011/12 (runners-up), Asseco Resovia RZESZOW in 2014/15 (runners-up) and Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE in 2020/21 (champions).
· JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel have won all eight of their matches this season. It is their second-longest winning run in the Champions League after a streak of nine victories in the 2013/14 campaign.
· The only other undefeated team this Champions League season is Sir Sicoma Monini PERUGIA, who claimed five group stage wins and received three awarded wins.
· JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel have claimed five straight-set victories this Champions League season. They could equal the record number of 3-0 victories by a Polish team in a single CL campaign: six by PGE Skra BELCHATOW (2010/11) and Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE (2019/20, with that season cut short by the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic).
· Jan Hadrava (105) and Tomasz Fornal (104) have won the most points for the club this Champions League season. Fornal won a team-high 17 points from stuff blocks.
· Benjamin Toniutti is among the best setters in the Champions League this season, on an efficiency of 54.67%
Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE
· Last season, Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE became the first team from Poland to win the Champions League. Płomień MILOWICE (1977/78) won Poland's only title in the Champions Cup, predecessor of the Champions League.
· Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE can become the fourth team to win successive titles in the Champions League, after Lokomotiv BELGOROD from 2002/03 to 2003/04, TRENTINO Itas from 2008/09 to 2010/11 (3 in a row as TRENTINO BetClic) and Zenit KAZAN from 2014/15 to 2017/18 (4 in a row).
· Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE won four of their six group matches this season, before receiving two 3-0 awarded wins against Dinamo MOSCOW in the quarter-finals.
· Kamil Semeniuk (90) is the club's leading points scorer this Champions League season. Of those 90 points, 16 came from serves. Only Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA's Robertlandy Simon Aties (19) has produced more aces this CL campaign.
· Norbert Hubert ranks among the best spikers in the competition this season, on a spike efficiency of 57.81% and a killing spike percentage of 65.62.
"We have to think about the first game. It will be tough. We have to recover a little bit and prepare to this match in the best way. They are coming from a Saturday’s loss, so they will have the knife between the teeth. We know that is a good team. We won the Super Cup, they won the Polish Cup. Now it is a new competition and two best teams in Poland in this momment are playing against each other in Champions League semi-final. So it is a nice event"
Setter JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel
"The first match out of those three clashes could have big importance. We have to play as a team, have fun and try to avoid the mistakes. We should play as good as we showed it fighting against Lube. We will see if it is enough for ZAKSA"
Opposite JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel
- All Time
Receiving the ball
Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE celebrating after a point
Discussing between teammates
Exultation after a point
Amazing set-up block by Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE
Hard battle over the net
Tension on the block
Spiking over the net
Photos featured on the CEV Photo Galleries are downloadable copyright free for media purposes only and only if CEV is credited as the source material. They are protected by copyright for all other commercial purposes. Those wishing to use CEV Photo Gallery photos for other commercial purposes should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel v Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE
What a spectacular Polish evening at a sold-out Hala Widowiskowo! On one side we had Jastrzebski Wegiel, a team that has won all eight of their matches this season and on the other side was Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn-Koźle, a reigning champion of #CLVolleyM.
The reigning CEV Champions League Volley champions from Zaksa got on the court today for the first time in the eliminatory stages of this season’s Champions League after being awarded the wins in the quarter-finals against Dinamo Moscow.
Getting into this match everybody knew it was going to be a tough battle, which for sure was, even though Zaksa won 0:3 ((20-25, 14-25, 19-25).
At first, it was played point by point but in the middle of the first set Kozle managed to separate from their opponent and they had a five-point lead (8-13). With few time-outs by Jastrzebski’s coach, Andrea Gardini, the team still couldn’t break the reigning champions.
The second set began the same way as the first one but everything changed with a challenge from Zaksa who was telling the judge that the ball is in, and not out as he said. Later on Zaksa only build-up on their advantage and finished up the set with an 11-point lead (14-25).
In the last set, Jastrzebski knew they were gonna need to put up a good fight but it just wasn't the day for them as they lost the third set as well in front of a home crowd.
Marcin Janusz, the setter of ZAKSA, was chosen as the MVP of the match with 13 scored points.
Before the rematch in the Champions League, both teams will play against each other next Sunday in Polish PlusLiga. It will be a duel that may decide which of these teams will win the regular league season.
The match in numbers
The combined total number of points scored by both teams throughout the entire match.
The total length of the match, from the first serve through until the last point has ended.
Total number of people in attendance at the venue – taken at the end of the second set.
The combined total number of successful spikes achieved by both teams throughout the entire match.
An average of the two team service reception percentages from the complete match.
The number of successful point winning blocks of JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel compared to Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE.
JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel number of service aces compared to Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE
Errors leading to points of JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel, next to those from Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE