- JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel won 3-0 away at Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA in the first leg of this quarter-final tie on 8 March. It marked the first Champions League meeting between the teams.
- In that match on 8 March, three players reached a match-high 14 points: Robertlandy Simon Aties for the home team, and Jan Hadrava and Tomasz Fornal for the visitors.
- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA won 18 of their previous 25 Champions League matches versus teams from Poland. Earlier this season, they defeated Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE 3-2 away, but lost the reverse fixture 2-3 at home.
- Last season, Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA were eliminated by Polish side Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE in the quarter-finals, after losing a decisive golden set.
- JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel won three of their previous eight Champions League encounters with Italian sides, group stage victories against Sisley TREVISO (3-1 in 2007/08) and CoprAtlantide PIACENZA (3-2 in 2009/10), and the 3-0 away win in this quarter-final tie.
- The winner of this quarter-final tie will play Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE in the semi-finals.
- JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel have reached beyond the Champions League group stage for the first time since 2017/18. That season, they were eliminated by Zaksa KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE in the Playoffs 12.
- JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel are hoping to reach the semi-finals for a third time in the Champions League, after 2010/11 and 2013/14. They finished fourth in 2010/11 and third in 2013/14.
- Last season, Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE became the first Polish team to win the Champions League. PGE Skra BELCHATOW (2011/12) and Asseco Resovia RZESZOW (2014/15) have previously finished runners-up in the competition.
- JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel have won all seven of their matches this season. It is their second-longest winning run in the Champions League after a streak of nine victories in the 2013/14 campaign.
- JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel claimed five straight-set victories this Champions League season. They could equal the record number of 3-0 victories by a Polish team in a single CL campaign: six by PGE Skra BELCHATOW (2010/11) and Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE (2019/20, with that season cut short by the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic).
- Jan Hadrava and Tomasz Fornal (both 82) are the club's joint-leading top scorers this Champions League season. Fornal won a team-high 16 points from stuff blocks.
- Nicola Giolito, assistant coach of Andrea Gardini and athletic coach of Jastrzębski Węgiel, worked in Cucine Lube Civitanova as assistant in "Fefe" De Giorgi staff and in less than two seasons he won two national Cups with this club and won the Club World Championship.
- Jan Hadrava played for this titled Italian club for one season and won the Italian championship, Italian Cup and Italian Super Cup.
- Benjamin Toniutti, the captain of Jastrzębski Węgiel, is a player who defeated Cucine Lube Civitanova twice in the Champions League quarter-finals. It took place last season in the applause of Grupa Azoty ZAKSA Kędzierzyn-Koźle and last Tuesday in the first match of the CEV Champions League 2022 quarter-finals with Jastrzębski Węgiel.
Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA are hoping to win the Champions League for a third time, after 2001/02 (as Lube Banca Marche MACERATA) and 2018/19. They also finished on the podium in 2015/16 (3rd), 2016/17 (3rd) and 2017/18 (2nd).
- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA have lost their last two Champions League matches, as many as in their previous 31 CL fixtures (W29-L2, includes two awarded wins). The Italians have not lost three successive CL matches since March-April 2009.
- Each of Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA's last three defeats in the Champions League came against teams from Poland, twice against Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE (2020/21 quarter-finals, 2021/22 group stage) and in the home match versus JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel in this quarter-final tie.
- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA have not lost a Champions League match in which they won the opening set since 6 December 2017, when they lost 2-3 to Sir Colussi Sicoma PERUGIA in the group stage.
- Robertlandy Simon Aties (96) is the club's leading point scorer in this season's Champions League. Six players have already reached the 100-points mark this season, all representing teams which have been eliminated from the competition.
- Simon Aties won 25 points from stuff blocks in this season's Champions League, second-most among all players after Hebar PAZARDZHIK's Viktor Yosifov (33).
- Simon Aties has collected a joint-competition high 16 points from serves this Champions League season, alongside ČEZ KARLOVARSKO's Patrik Indra and Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE's Kamil Semeniuk (both 16).
"The match in Civitanova was great for us. The rivals may not have played their best game, but the result is perfect for us. But it must be made clear what the situation is now. I would compare this victory to a single game win in the play-off series. Everything is still open. Lube is one of the strongest teams in the world with many amazing champions and top players. So I believe that nothing is settled yet. We still have one important game to play.
Head Coach JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel
"It is enough for us to win two sets in front of our own audience and we will be guaranteed promotion to the semi-finals. There is nothing to get too excited about as we haven't been promoted yet. We have to calmly approach this second game, with a cool head. I hope that Wednesday will be full hall and the fans will carry us to victory and promotion to the next.”
Outside Hitter JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel
"Reversing the result of the first leg is possible and I believe it. Of course it won't be easy, but nothing is simple when you talk about Champions League games. Our opponents are a very strong team, performing great defenses and blocks, but we have to look only to our side of the court, as in my opinion everything will depend on our minds."
Middle-blocker Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
- All Time
The perfect touch
Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA team huddle
Ivan Zaytsev of Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA serving the ball
When you qualify to the Semis
MVP - Tomasz Fornal of JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel
The happy winners
Photos featured on the CEV Photo Galleries are downloadable copyright free for media purposes only and only if CEV is credited as the source material. They are protected by copyright for all other commercial purposes. Those wishing to use CEV Photo Gallery photos for other commercial purposes should contact email@example.com
JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel secure a spot at the Semis
Two-time titleholders from Cucine Lube Civitanova end their journey on the most prestigious European stage this year after missing a match point in the third set. Winning it, it would have meant that both side would have locked horns in a Golden set. However, JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel were able to show nerves of steel, and as did Trentino Itas in the first quarterfinal match of the day, come back after losing the first two sets, to eventually claim the next three.
Overall, the winners proved better on attack (75 to 62 winning spikes) and aced as many as 10 times (to six by Lube). Four of these aces were recorded by MVP of the match - Tomasz Fornal, who finished with a total of 21 one points. Jan Hadrava, on the other hand, became top scorer with 23 points. For the guests, Ivan Zaytsev scored 21.
The Italians were better o the blocking (12 to eight), but this wasn’t enough for them and their 2022 CLVolleyM journey stops in the quarterfinals phase.
This is the third time for JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel to reach this stage of the competition, after 2010/11 and 2013/14. They finished fourth in 2010/11 and third in 2013/14.
In the semifinals this year, JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel will have to face reigning champions and compatriots from Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE.
“It is really difficult to say anything right now, there are so many emotions! Our fans helped us so much, by creating this great atmosphere, and this is a victory for them! We were close to taking the first or the second set, but I am also glad that we came back afterwards, showing great fighting spirit, and now we are in Top 4!”
MVP of the match and player of JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel
“The big upset tonight is that we had two chances to close the game 3-0, and unfortunately, we weren't able to seize them. Overall, I think we have to congratulate our opponents, because they certainly deserved the qualification, interpreting the double challenge better than us ".
Player of Cucine Lube Civitanova
The match in numbers
The combined total number of points scored by both teams throughout the entire match.
The total length of the match, from the first serve through until the last point has ended.
Total number of people in attendance at the venue – taken at the end of the second set.
The combined total number of successful spikes achieved by both teams throughout the entire match.
An average of the two team service reception percentages from the complete match.
The number of successful point winning blocks of JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel compared to Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA.
JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel number of service aces compared to Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
Errors leading to points of JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel, next to those from Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA