- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA won four of their five Champions League matches against Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE.
- Last season, these teams met in the Champions League quarter-finals. Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE won 3-1 in Italy, then lost 0-3 in Poland, but won 16-14 in the golden set. Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE progressed and went on the win the title.
- In the 2018/19 Champions League fourth round, Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA beat Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE in straight sets in Gliwice on 15 January 2019, and came from two sets behind to win the reverse fixture 3-2 at home on 27 February 2019.
- These teams' first Champions League meeting was in the 2017/18 final four in Kazan. On 12 May 2018, Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA reached the final after beating Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE 3-1 in the semi-finals.
- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA won 14 of their last 16 Champions League matches against Polish opposition, with the exceptions in that run a five-set defeat against PGE Skra BELCHATÓW in the 2016/17 playoffs 12 and the 1-3 home defeat against Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE in the quarter-finals last season.
- Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE won their most recent Champions League match versus Italian opposition, 3-1 against TRENTINO Itas in last season's final.
Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE
- Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE won the Champions League last season. They became the first team from Poland to win the Champions League. Płomień MILOWICE (1977/78) won Poland's only title in the Champions Cup, predecessor of the Champions League.
- Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE won their first two Champions League group stage matches this season, 3-0 against OK Merkur MARIBOR and 3-1 at Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK.
- In 2019/20 and 2020/21, Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE won all their six Champions League group stage matches.
- Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE are unbeaten in 14 Champions League group stage matches, since a 2-3 defeat at opponents Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA on 27 February 2019.
- Since the start of the 2013/14 season, Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE have lost two Champions League matches without claiming a set. On both occasions it was against Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA (group stage in 2018/19, quarter-finals in 2020/21).
- Aleksander Śliwka has scored a team-high 33 points in this season's Champions League group stage, one more than Łukasz Kaczmarek (32).
Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
- Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA won their first two Champions League group stage matches this season without dropping a set: 3-0 against Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK and OK Merkur MARIBOR.
- Since their defeat in the 2017/18 final, Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA won 26 of their 28 Champions League matches (includes two awarded wins). The exceptions in that run came last season, a 0-3 defeat against Sir Sicoma Monini PERUGIA in the group stage and a 1-3 loss against Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN KOŹLE in the quarter-finals.
- The last Champions League match involving Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA that needed a deciding fifth set was their 3-2 away win in the quarter-finals at Dinamo MOSCOW in the 2018/19 season.
- Robertlandy Simon Aties has won eight points from serves in the 2021/22 Champions League group stage, more than any other man.
- Simon Aties has won 11 points from stuff blocks in the group stage of this Champions League campaign, at least three more than any other man.
"Since the beginning of the season we have never played with the complete roster, as we have never trained with the whole team. Unfortunately along these months what we thoughts it was just a temporary emergency turned into a usual situation for us, but this has not prevented us from continuing to work with the right spirit and the right awareness of our skills, convinced that we are able to perform great volleyball and to score good results facing any opponent."
Head Coach Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
- All Time
Aleksander Sliwka celebrating after spectacular spike
Luciano de Cecco setting the ball
Kamil Semeniuk spiking over Lube's block
5,655 spectators watched the match at Arena Gliwice
Photos featured on the CEV Photo Galleries are downloadable copyright free for media purposes only and only if CEV is credited as the source material. They are protected by copyright for all other commercial purposes. Those wishing to use CEV Photo Gallery photos for other commercial purposes should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA stopped Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE in Gliwice
As many as 5,655 spectators gathered at Arena Gliwice in Poland to watch the Super Match of the Week. ZAKSA had a clearly better start, but the guests were getting on with it every minute. It was 14:17 and 15:21 after Kaczmarek's attack missed the court and this advantage let the away side to win the opening set.
The second set had a competitive beginning, but the situation changed from 10:10 at the scoreboard after coach Cretu's challenge. It was a moment of awakening for the host team. Zaksa took a lead at 14:12 and started to play perfectly in defense and block. The guests couldn't find their rhythm especially in the serve field. Smith's impressive block on Lucarelli closed the set for ZAKSA at 25:16.
The third set again delivered a turnaround, as Lube was back in the game. They quickly got a lead 5: 9 and 6:11 after smart block on Śliwka. A momentary spurt of the hosts at 8:11 with a great play by Śliwka and brilliant gimmick by Kaczmarek - definitely an action of the set. The top performance of Lucarelli, Simon and Marlon Herrera led the guests to 22:17 lead and to comfortable set win at 25:18.
In the fourth set Zaksa quickly gained a three-point advantage and after Semeniuk's ace it was 6:3. The hosts produced an outstanding action, when Śliwka spiking from a very difficult ball with his trick directed the ball to the end-line at 8: 4. Block on Semeniuk and 11: 8 on the scoreboard, who redeemed the sins by scoring a point with a strong attack at 13: 8. A spectacular double-block action on Ivan Zaytcev gave a solid advantage for hosts (16:10). The defending #CLVolleyM champions won the fourth set 25:21.
In the tie-break the visitors blocked Huber and it was 7: 3 for Lube. The guests improved their advantage further, after Semeniuk's unsuccessful attack it was 12:7 and it seemed that the game was over. However, it turned out that the emotions were right up to the end. First, two fantastic Huber blocks on Simon and David Smith's ace reduced the distance to 12:11 for the guests. The Italians, however, mobilized in the end. First, Lucarelli's action and then firm block on Kaczmarek ended the match. 15:12 and 3: 2 win for Civitanova.
The match in numbers
The combined total number of points scored by both teams throughout the entire match.
The total length of the match, from the first serve through until the last point has ended.
Total number of people in attendance at the venue – taken at the end of the second set.
The combined total number of successful spikes achieved by both teams throughout the entire match.
An average of the two team service reception percentages from the complete match.
The number of successful point winning blocks of Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE compared to Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA.
Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE number of service aces compared to Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
Errors leading to points of Grupa Azoty KĘDZIERZYN-KOŹLE, next to those from Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
Luciano De Cecco
“After two weeks in which many of us were locked up at home due to Covid, the first good news tonight is that we finally could get back to the court playing a game. The second is of course that we also managed to perform a good volleyball, giving our best and then bringing home some well-deserved and important points for the pool standings. We still have a lot to improve, this for sure, but tonight it's definitely okay, given the circumstances. Playing in Poland is always beautiful, especially in a stunning sport hall like the one that saw us protagonists today together with Zaksa”.
setter of Cucine Lube Civitanova and MVP
"We are very happy because we could not play in the full line up , but despite that my team was very ambitious in this match. We knew that the rival would not let go until the very end, and even more so, it is a valuable win."
head coach of Cucine Lube CIVITANOVA
"We didn't get into the game well and made too many own mistakes in lost sets. We certainly cannot be satisfied with our game, especially in attack, but I must add that the visitors' team played really well tonight."
captain of Grupa Azoty Kędzierzyn-Koźle